Our Fabulous Laundry Soap Recipe
My family and friends love this homemade laundry soap recipe. I have had many positive reactions to it’s use. Such as, it got years of coffee stains out of a favorite night gown and it works just as good or better than the store bought detergent brands. Even the expensive ones. It does not have the chemicals like store-bought brands to keep it from separating. So, you will have to shake it well before each use. It will still be lumpy or slimy but this is normal and dissolves quickly. The detergent is low sudsing, so it also is completely safe for HE or FRONT LOADING WASHERS!
Have Sensitive Skin?
It’s also safe for those family members with sensitive skin. My oldest has to be very careful about what he washes his clothes with, because most store bought laundry detergents will cause him to break out in huge hives. He has not broken out once while using this homemade laundry soap. I also use it for all my newborns clothes and blankets. I DO NOT use it with my cloth diapers with PUL, such as covers or pockets. It has been known to deteriorate the PUL over time. It is safe for inserts, pre-folds and flats.
This is so easy to make and the prep time isn’t bad either. At the bottom of this post you can print out this recipe and my notes for future references.
Price Of Products I Used
Box of Borax $3.96
Box of Super Washing Soda $3.96
Bar of Fels-Naptha $0.97
Bottle of Tea Tree Oil $4.97
Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap – Detergent
1 Bar Fels-Naptha 5 1/2 oz
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Super Washing Soda
1 or 2 Tablespoons Tea Tree Oil
1. Shred the bar of soap. Add it to 6 cups warm simmering water. Takes about 5 min.
2. Pour melted soap and water mixture into a 5-gallon bucket filled half way with hot water.
3. Add the cup of Borax and mix.
4. Add the cup of Super Washing Soda and mix until everything dissolves.
5. Add 2 Tablespoons Tea Tree Oil (This is optional).
6. Fill the bucket the rest of the way with water and stir.
7. Place a lid on it and wait 24 hours.
After 24 hours remove lid and stir. The homemade laundry soap should look like gelatin. Stir to break it up. You can leave it like it is and bottle it or add 5-gallons of water and bottle it. Shake before each use.
I (use to) add extra water because my family tends to think more is better and I want this to last like it should.
Do you have a homemade laundry soap recipe that you love? Please feel free to share it with us in the comments below.
Homemade laundry Soap Update And Tips
1. I no longer add extra water I found that using 5 gallons did the trick. I use 1/4 – 1/2 cup in my wash.
2. If your clothes feel scratchy you might have soap residue in them. Use less of the homemade laundry soap or add another rinse.
3. If your clothes are really stinky add some baking soda to your wash and/or add some vinegar to your rinse.
4. You do not have to use tea tree oil. You may use any essential oil you like (as long as it doesn’t irritate your skin).
5. If you have hard water add an extra 1/2 – 1 cup of Washing Soda.
6. If this doesn’t gel up after 24 hours that’s okay. You can go ahead and use it or wait for it to gel. I had one time take almost a week to gel.
7. Please do not boil the water used to melt the soap flakes.
8. The water in the bucket should be warm or slightly hot from the tap.
Looking for other Homemade Cleaning Recipes?
Do not miss out on our Recipe Note Cards for all your fabulous recipes. There are 15 lovely Vintage Recipe Note Card designs to download and I also create one or two card designs for each of the Meal Planners listed on this site.
My thoughts on Borax – Is It Safe?
There are many sites on the internet claiming borax is toxic. I disagree with these sites and believe that borax is as safe as table salt or washing soda. Here is a fantastic site that gives a wealth of information about borax. The site gives many examples of how to use it and why it is safe to use: https://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm
Would you like to see how this liquid laundry detergent is made? Click on the video below…
YouTube automatically depreciates video quality. To watch my videos in 1080p HD click the settings button on the bottom right of the video. Then click “Quality” to choose the video quality you prefer to watch in.